The lack of merchant shipping had been one of the reasons why the US remained out of the First World War for so long. To remedy this, Congress passed the Federal Shipping Act in 1916. The Act triggered a major shipbuilding programme, which even involved constructing a vast new shipyard at Hog Island. Sadly the historic site closed and today it provides part of the foundations for Philadelphia International Airport.
The First Hog Islander to be named was the Quistconck on 5 August 1918. The last ship off the 50 slipways was the Cedarhurst in July 1920. With so many slipways, Mark Goldberg quoting Edward Hurley’s book, pointed out that by 1920, the Hog Island yard could turn out a ship every 72 hours. (Goldberg, Mark H.: The Hog Islanders; The American Marine Museum, New York, 1991.) An achievement probably never matched since.
In total, the Hog Islander family reached 122 ships. 110 of these were Type A freighters, 12 Type B transporters.
The City of Flint was one of these noble ships.